The forty-sixth in a series of posts highlighting buildings in East Wilson Historic District, a national historic district located in Wilson, North Carolina. As originally approved, the district encompasses 858 contributing buildings and two contributing structures in a historically African-American section of Wilson. (A significant number have since been lost.) The district was developed between about 1890 to 1940 and includes notable examples of Queen Anne, Bungalow/American Craftsman, and Shotgun-style architecture. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1988.
As described in the nomination form for the East Wilson Historic District: “ca. 1922; 1 story; John Moore house; late example of double-pile hip-roofed form with projecting front wing; has classical porch posts; Moore was listed as both a barber and shoemaker.”
In the 1928 city directory of Wilson:
In the 1930 census of Wilson, Wilson County: John H. Moore, 45, cobbler in a shoe shop; wife Annie, 31, laundress; and children Lena, 11, Carl, 9, John, 7, Anna G., Odessia B., and Ruth, 1.
In 1940, Carl Moore registered for the World War II draft in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Per his registration card, he was born 23 January 1919 in Wilson; resided at 1113 Atlantic Street, Wilson (formerly 1516 North Opal Street, Philadelphia, and 1750 North Croskey Street, Philadelphia); his contact was mother Armincie Moore, 1113 East Atlanta [sic] Street, Wilson; and he was unemployed.
In the 1941 city directory of Wilson, N.C.: Moore John H (c; Armincia; 4) shoe repr 517 E Nash h 1113 Atlantic Av
Photograph by Lisa Y. Henderson, September 2017.