The forty-fourth in a series of posts highlighting buildings in East Wilson Historic District, a national historic district located in Wilson, North Carolina. As originally approved, the district encompasses 858 contributing buildings and two contributing structures in a historically African-American section of Wilson. (A significant number have since been lost.) The district was developed between about 1890 to 1940 and includes notable examples of Queen Anne, Bungalow/American Craftsman, and Shotgun-style architecture. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1988.
As described in the nomination form for the East Wilson Historic District: “ca. 1930; 1 story; bungalow with popular gable roof and engaged porch; shingled gables and small, gabled dormer; fine, compact example of the type in E. Wilson.”
There is no listing for 1115 Woodard Avenue in the 1930 Wilson, North Carolina, city directory.
In the 1940 census of Wilson, Wilson County: at 1115 Woodard, tobacco factory laborer Mary Ward, 51, and husband William Ward, 65, warehouse laborer; and wholesale company truck driver Walter Williams, 37, wife Gennette, 28, and children Geraldine, 12, and Walter Jr., 11.
In the 1941 city directory of Wilson, North Carolina: Ward Wm (c; Mary) h 1115 Woodard Av.
Photograph by Lisa Y. Henderson, September 2017.