The twenty-ninth in a series of posts highlighting buildings in East Wilson Historic District, a national historic district located in Wilson, North Carolina. As originally approved, the district encompasses 858 contributing buildings and two contributing structures in a historically African-American section of Wilson. (A significant number have since been lost.) The district was developed between about 1890 to 1940 and includes notable examples of Queen Anne, Bungalow/American Craftsman, and Shotgun-style architecture. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1988.
As described in the nomination form for East Wilson Historic District: “ca. 1913. 1 story. Nathan Haskins house; two-room triple-A cottage; Haskins was a laborer.”
As shown in the 1913 Sanborn map of Wilson, 702 East Green was originally numbered 631. (In the early 1920s, 629 East Green was renumbered 700 to reflect the T-intersection of Elba Street opposite.)
In the 1925 Hill’s Wilson, N.C., city directory: Haskins Nathan, lab, h 702 E Green.
In the 1930 census of Wilson, Wilson County: cook Addie Haskin, 50; daughters Martha, 20, public school teacher and Addie D., 19; daughter-in-law Gladis, 19; and Nathan, 32, cooper at a tobacco factory. The family rented the house for $30 a month.
In the 1940 census of Wilson, Wilson County: at 702 Green Street, Gentle Bynum, 34, truck driver for Farmers Oil Company; wife Rosa, 30; children Mary E., 12, William, 9, and Dorothy M., 2; and sister Gladys Harris, 17.
Photograph by Lisa Y. Henderson, July 2017.
Black Wide-Awake post No. 1000 — thanks for your support!