Mary Grove Missionary Baptist Church is on Wiggins Mill Road northwest of Lucama in Springhill township. Founded in 1909, the church is home to branches of the Kent, Renfrow, Jones, Barnes, Creech and Powell families, among others. (Including members of the Gospel Four.)
These photographs, which appear to date from the early 1970s, show the church’s wooden mid-century iteration, an early cornerstone, and the road sign that once identified the church to passersby.
Mary Grove Church today. The sanctuary has undergone several remodels in its 100+ years and now a modern brick structure with attached offices and meeting space. The cornerstone in the brick plinth shown above is now embedded front left. The church’s cemetery is located behind the parking lot at the far right edge of the image below.
Many thanks to Edith Jones Garnett for sharing family photographs of Mary Grove Church.