Dr. Paul L. Jackson G’33, Philadelphia, a retired assistant clinical professor at the Temple University School of Dentistry who had maintained a practice in West Philadelphia for 28 years; Jan. 17. Following discharge from the U.S. Army after service in the Second World War, he taught dentistry at Howard University in Washington before setting up practice in Philadelphia in 1947.
The Pennsylvania Gazette, July/August 2002.
In the 1910 census of Wilson, Wilson County: Joseph Jackson, 37, minister; wife Annie, 45; and children Eloise, 8, Joseph, 5, Paul L., 2, and John, 2 months.
In the 1920 census of Wilson, Wilson County: at 616 Green Street, Joseph S. Jackson, 48, minister; wife Annie H., 45; and children Mary E., 18, Joseph S., Jr., 15, Paul L., 11, and John B., 9.
In the 1930 census of Philadelphia, Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania: at 1304 Carpenter Street, North Carolina-born Paul Jackson, 23, laborer on wharves, listed as a nephew of Thomas and Louise Duncan.
In the 1940 census of Philadelphia, Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania: at 5222 Race Street, Paul Jackson and wife Catherine, both public school teachers.
In 1950, Paul Jackson applied for bonus compensation paid by Pennsylvania to dishonorably discharged veterans. He identified Annie H. Jackson, 618 East Green Street, Wilson, as his only living parent.
Paul Lawrence Jackson died 17 January 2002. On the 24th, the Philadelphia Inquirer ran his obituary:
Paul L. Jackson, 94, a dentist in West Philadelphia for 28 years, died last Thursday of pneumonia at Stapeley Hall, a retirement home in Germantown.
Born and raised in Wilson, N.C., Dr. Jackson received a bachelor’s degree from Livingstone College in North Carolina. He received a master’s degree in zoology from the University of Pennsylvania in 1933. He received his dental degree from Temple University in 1943, and then served in the Army during World War II.
After his discharge, he taught dentistry at Howard University in Washington before establishing a practice at his home in West Philadelphia in 1947. In addition to his private practice, Dr. Jackson was an assistant clinical professor at Temple University School of Dentistry.
He was a member of the New Era Dental Society, the Philadelphia County and American Dental Associations, and the Omega Psi Phi and Chi Delta Mu fraternities. He was active in the Boy Scouts and was a former trustee of Alleyne Memorial A.M.E. Zion Church in West Philadelphia.
He is survived by his wife of 11 years, Margaret Trummell Williams Jackson; his first wife, Catherine McCaine Jackson, to whom he was married for 56 years, died in 1990.
A memorial service will be held at 1 p.m. Feb. 9 at Stapeley Hall, 6300 Greene St. Burial arrangements are private.