Cash Williams’ property in Little Richmond.

The corner of East Wilson (specifically, Little Richmond neighborhood) shown in this 1946 plat map of D.C. “Cash” Williams‘ property between Maury and Railroad Streets was demolished for the construction of the Carl B. Renfro Bridge in the early 1970s. This collection of duplexes and endway (the local name for shotgun) houses would have housed mostly workers at one of several nearby oil mills and factories.

Screen Shot 2020-04-02 at 8.54.16 PM.png

The 1922 Sanborn fire insurance map shows the duplexes on Maury, Gay, and Railroad Streets were already in place by then.

Screen Shot 2020-04-04 at 2.02.45 PM.png

Here, via Google Maps, is Williams’ former block now. Railroad Street ends several hundred feet to the west. Taylor Street is gone. Gay Street peters out in a dead-end well short of its former terminus at Railroad. All of the houses have been torn down.

Screen Shot 2020-04-04 at 1.57.21 PM.png

Plat map 4, page 56, Register of Deeds Office, Wilson.

2 comments

Leave a Reply to Deborah Gouldin Cancel reply