This plat, drawn in September 1905, shows an irregular plot of land near Nash and Pender Streets. Part of the Anthony Nadal estate, the tract measured just under three acres. Wilson’s African-American community had begun to coalesce east of Pender, across from First Baptist Church, Saint John A.M.E. Zion and Calvary Presbyterian, and a close look at the plat shows some of Nadal’s neighbors.
- John Mack Barnes, master builder, carpenter and brickmason, who would soon built Saint John, among other fine brick buildings.
- John W. Aiken, a horse dealer and liveryman.
- Rev. Owen L.W. Smith, just returned from his stint as consul to Liberia.
- John S. Spell, carpenter and contractor.
- Darden Alley, named for the Charles H. Darden family and called so to this day.
Plat Book 1, page 17, Wilson County Register of Deeds Office, Wilson.